If you think you have a problem with drinking, we’re here to help.
If you seem to be having trouble with your drinking, or if your drinking has reached the point of where it worries you, you may be interested to know something about Alcoholics Anonymous and the AA programme of recovery from alcoholism. After reading this brief outline you may decide that AA has nothing to offer you.
Should this be the case, we suggest only that you keep an open mind on the subject. Consider your drinking carefully in the light of what you learn from this website.
Determine for yourself whether or not alcohol has truly become a problem for you. And remember that you will always be most welcome to join the thousands of men and women in AA who have put their drinking problems behind them and now lead “normal” lives of constructive, day by day sobriety.
If you have already decided you want help please see Get Help Now section below this.
Remember there are no dues or fees for AA.
Get Help With Your Drinking ProblemPeople come to NOCCA through many different means… choose the path that best suits you. If you prefer e-mail as a means of contact then feel free to email us at email@example.com We have a team of volunteers who have experienced the problems that losing control of your drinking can bring. They are only too pleased to be willing to help. If you want to speak to someone in your area who has found a solution to the problems they had as a result of their drinking you can call our helpline on 032 944 5585, to be put in touch with someone locally. Calls are charged at the local rate on BT lines. Other networks may vary. If you call from a mobile, charges can vary and we are unable to predict what area your call will be routed to. If you prefer, you can simply turn up at one of our meetings – click on this link to find our location. We strongly suggest that when you arrive you let someone know that this is your first meeting, that way they will be able to provide you with information that most people new to NOCCA find useful.
Is AA for you?Only you can decide whether you want to give NOCCA a try or if you think it can help you. We who are in NOCCA came because we finally gave up trying to control our drinking. We still hated to admit that we could never drink safely. Then we heard from other NOCCA members that we were sick. We found out that many people suffered from the same feelings of guilt, loneliness and hopelessness that we did. We found out that we had these feelings because we were sick with alcoholism. We decided to try to face up to what alcohol had done to us. Here are some of the questions we tried to answer honestly. See how you do. Remember, there is no disgrace in facing up to the fact that you have a problem. Answer YES or NO to the following questions
- Have you ever decided to stop drinking for a week or so, but only lasted for a couple of days? Most of us in NOCCA made all kinds of promises to ourselves and to our families. We could not keep them. Then we came to NOCCA and NOCCA said: "Just try not to drink today." (If you do not drink today, you cannot get drunk today.)
- Do you wish people would mind their own business about your drinking-- stop telling you what to do? In NOCCA we do not tell anyone to do anything. We just talk about our own drinking, the trouble we got into, and how we stopped. We will be glad to help you, if you want us to.
- Have you ever switched from one kind of drink to another in the hope that this would keep you from getting drunk? We tried all kinds of ways. We made our drinks weak. Or just drank beer. Or we did not drink spirits. Or only drank on weekends. You name it, we tried it. But if we drank anything with alcohol in it, we usually got drunk eventually.
- Have you had to have a drink in the morning during the past year? Do you need a drink to get started, or to stop shaking? This is a pretty sure sign that you are not drinking socially.
- Do you envy people who can drink without getting into trouble? At one time or another, most of us have wondered why we were not like most people, who really can take it or leave it.
- Have you had problems connected with drinking during the past year? Be honest! Doctors say that if you have a problem with alcohol and keep on drinking, it will get worse - never better. Eventually, you will die, or end up in an institution for the rest of your life. The only hope is to stop drinking.
- Has your drinking caused trouble at home? Before we came into NOCCA, most of us said that it was the people or problems at home that made us drink. We could not see that our drinking just made everything worse. It never solved problems anywhere.
- Do you ever try to get 'extra' drinks at a party because you do not get enough? Most of us used to have a 'few' before we started out if we thought it was going to be that kind of party. If drinks were not served fast enough, we would go some place else to get more.
- Do you tell yourself you can stop drinking any time you want to, even though you keep getting drunk when you don't mean to? Many of us kidded ourselves into thinking that we drank because we wanted to. After we came to NOCCA, we found out that once we started to drink, we couldn't stop.
- Have you missed days off work because of drinking? Many of us admit now that we called in sick lots of times when the truth was that we were hung over or on a drunk.
- Do you have blackouts? A blackout is when there are drinking hours or days we cannot remember. When we came into NOCCA, we found out that this is a pretty sure sign of alcoholic drinking.
- Have you ever felt that your life would be better if you did not drink? Many of us started to drink because drinking made life seem better, at least for a while. By the time we got into NOCCA, we felt trapped. We were drinking to live and living to drink. We were sick and tired of being sick and tired.
- Do you drink because you have problems? To face up to stressful situations?
- Do you drink when you get mad at other people, your friends or parents?
- Do you often prefer to drink alone, rather than with others?
- Are you starting to get low marks? Are you skiving off work?
- Do you ever try to stop or drink less – and fail?
- Have you begun to drink in the morning, before school or work?
- Do you gulp your drinks as if to satisfy a great thirst?
- Do you ever have loss of memory due to your drinking?
- Do you avoid being honest with others about your drinking?
- Do you ever get into trouble when you are drinking?
- Do you often get drunk when you drink, even when you do not mean to?
- Do you think you’re big to be able to hold your drink?
- North Coast Centre for Alcoholics is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.